Monday, February 13, 2017

You Guys are Both from North Carolina?


Hello Everyone!

Well I have lots of new news! President called me and told me that I will be training the new secretary this transfer until Feb 24th, then I will be heading out to a new area. But of course he had to kill me with the suspense and not tell me where I am going! I am very grateful for all that I learned here in the offices, and can't wait to apply it all in my last area! It is going to be really special for me being able to get back out in the field! Also, Matt Stafford is taking my companions place in the offices and we are living together. Yesterday we went out and worked together all day! It was so fun! Often times we just can't even believe that we are living and working together as missionaries 5000 miles away from home and speaking a different language. It is very cool! But don't worry! We are still working really hard! 

This past week was a tougher one. The family that has been progressing the past 2 weeks told us that they really don't want us to pass by anymore and that they are done, which was a big shock to me. The lessons I had with them were some of the most spiritual that I have ever been a part of in my mission, and I know they felt the spirit a ton! And I know they came to understand the power of Christ´s atonement and love. But they were just not completely ready at this time. I know they will be later. The seed has been planted and we have done everything! They did not make it to Church this Sunday.

Yesterday I went out to work with Elder Stafford. It was very fun! He is a stud and not afraid at all to open his mouth! We talked to a bunch of people and invited a lot of people to be baptized, so we were able to find a lot of new investigators and this next week is going to be a good one!

The other day I was thinking about some of the most important things to study and understand as a Missionary, and of course there are a ton of things that are very important, but one thing that has really helped me is studying commandments, commitments, and the why behind everything! The natural man will never change unless he is invited to do so, or has a motivation to change! I know that we can all relate to this! If we never got results from working out, there is no way we would ever do it! No one is going to get up to go to Church unless they can feel by the spirit that they need to, and unless they understand all the blessings that come from being obedient to this important commandment! As I have grown spiritually and seen more of the blessings in my life every day, and the changes in others lives I have come to understand the “why” behind every commandment, and I try my best to make every single person I talk to also feel the spirit and understand “why.” It is a whole lot more than just saying “If you follow this you will be blessed.”

As many of you have read from my emails, one of the hardest commitments for people to keep is going to Church, and that is what I focused my studies on! I was reading in Preach my Gospel about keeping the Sabbath day holy and 2 important points caught my attention. One, as we go to Church our faith is strengthened and we are filled with joy and peace, and that is a promise from the Lord; and 2, the importance of the sacrament by the proper authority!

In 3 Nephi 18, it talks about the importance of the sacrament and the blessings that comes from it, but it reiterates the fact that these blessings can only come to pass by the proper authority, showing the great importance of going to Church every Sunday and partaking of the sacrament by those who have the authority. In verse 12, there is another promise that says if we do these things, we will be “edified by the rock of Christ.” The scripture Helaman 5:12 came right to my mind, which holds the promise that if we are “edified by the rock of Christ, we will never fall.” If we partake of the sacrament worthily by the proper authority every week, we have that same promise, that whatever happens we will never fall!

Sometimes we take for granted the importance of strengthening our faith. As I was pondering this topic, Ether 12:4 came to my mind-

 4 Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.”

As we work to build our faith, we will have a greater hope, and that hope will make an anchor, which will change our lives, because we will be steadfast in all that we do, doing all that we can do to do what the Lord asks of us, and have a bright hope for the future, even Eternal Life! Faith is the motivation to change, leads us to act, and helps us to overcome our challenges in weaknesses! If everyone could know that, I feel like everyone would go to church! 

Verse 14 says:

“14 Behold, it was the faith of Nephi and Lehi that wrought the change upon the Lamanites, that they were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost.” We can bring to pass great miracles in our lives and the lives of others as we strive to strengthen our faith, and it is something that can only be done as we strive to live the commandments of the Lord!

Verse 27 (One of my favorites):

“27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.” The key in this is humility and the phrase “have faith in me”. Then we can make weaknesses become strengths, and all of this started because of the little sacrifices we make to come closer to the Lord, and keep His commandments!

I know that this church is true, that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and everything has already been provided for me! I know that as we strive to increase our faith and be more obedient, and truly come to understand the “why”, we will see our lives change, and the lives of those around us as well! I hope we all can understand a little bit Heavenly Father´s love for us, and what He wants for us. If we can understand that, we will realize that everything that happens is for our good, and that we will have His divine help in the process!

I love you all! Happy Valentine´s day!!! Have a great week!

Elder Yeoman
Two Carolina Boys in Argentina! 
Elder Asper, Elder Stafford and Elder Lyon
Elder Mella going home! I'm going to miss that guy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment